School Budget Vote Results
The Ballston Spa community approved the district’s 2019-20 budget proposal of $92,030,147 with an unofficial vote of 82.3% voting yes and 17.7% voting no.
All other propositions were supported by the voters and both BOE candidates were elected.
The Board of Education has approved a proposed budget of $92,030,147 for the 2019-2020 school year. The approval came after many discussions throughout a budget development process that began in November. The adopted budget reflects a 0.15% budget-to-budget increase, and a 3.3% tax levy increase. Based on new construction resulting in increased assessed value across the district, average tax rates are expected to increase less than 1%. The adopted budget provides additional investments in teaching and learning, supports the district’s Priorities and Goals and strives to increase the value of the community’s investment in the district.
Some of the critical investments that the district will make include:
- K-5 Literacy – Reading and Writing Curriculum materials, supplies, and training required for effective implementation in September 2019
- K-5 Mathematics Curriculum materials, supplies, and training to ensure effective implementation in September 2020
- Counseling Staff in each of the elementary schools
- Additional teaching staff at the Middle School to work with students who have fallen behind in their academic progress and to better prepare them for entrance into high school.
In addition to Proposition 1 which is to support the budget, other propositions on this year’s ballot include:
- Proposition 2 Purchase school buses at a maximum cost of $965,400 as a continuation of our bus replacement plan
- Proposition 3 Create a Capital Reserve Fund with a maximum amount of $9,000,000 for future facilities improvements (the current reserve will be utilized to offset a portion of the cost of the Phase 3 Construction Project which was voter-approved last fall), and
- Proposition 4 Collect $57,750 for Public Library funding.
While the district lost revenue from the Global Foundries PILOT agreement and state aid due to paying off the High School building, both of which were expected, we utilized savings from retirements; consolidated costs from a number of areas including educational technology, BOCES services, health insurance; and eliminated two (2) full time teaching positions so as to be able to make these and other related investments.
For additional information on the proposed budget, please visit our budget webpage, review the spring 2019 Budget Newsletter, attend one of the upcoming Community Budget Presentations (details below), the May 8, 2019 Budget Hearing in the High School library, or contact Mr. Sirianni or Mr. Slentz at the District Office.
The Board of Education and administration sincerely appreciate the involvement of everyone throughout our school community as we work together to educate our children.
Please remember to vote on May 21, 2019!
Budget Information in the Community:
Learn more about the proposed school budget by attending community budget presentations in each of the local towns. School district representatives will present information and answer questions from interested residents at 6:30 pm on May 7, 2019 at the Ballston Town Hall, May 15, 2019 at the Milton Community Center, or May 16, 2019 at the Malta Community Center. Or call the district’s budget hotline with specific questions for the Assistant Superintendent for Business at 884-7195 ext. 1320. Questions and comments may also be sent via the district website at www.bscsd.org.
Board of Education Elections:
There are two full term (three year) Board seats up for election this year, commencing in July 2019. Interested voters will select from the following candidates at the polls: Melissa Glastetter and Dorothy Sellers. A Meet the Candidates Night will be held in the Ballston Spa High School Library on May 13, 2019 at 5:00 pm so voters may hear from the candidates directly in a program coordinated by students from our Participation in Government classes.
Voting hours and sites:
The annual statewide School Budget Vote and Board of Education Elections will be held May 21, 2019 from 7:00 am - 9:00 pm. District residents vote at the Malta Town Hall (residents of Malta) and the Ballston Spa High School Library (residents of Milton, Ballston and Charlton).