Newsletter: Oct. 28th
Ballston Spa Middle School News
Dear Scottie Families,
Your children continue to amaze us every day with their kindness and compliance with following all safety procedures. Thank you for your support and the honor of working with such amazing young people! Below please find some updates and reminders.
Reminder of Upcoming Dates
November 3rd - Superintendent's Day - 1/2 Day of School - Students will attend school fully remote. See abbreviated schedule below.
November 3rd Schedule
Period 5 7:40 – 8:25
Period 6 8:30 – 9:15
Period 7 9:20 – 10:05
Period 8 10:10 – 10:55
November 11- Veterans Day - No School
November 16-19 - Picture Week (See below for details)
November 25-28 Thanksgiving Holiday Break
BSMS Picture Day Information
Picture Days for the 2020-2021 school year will be held during the week of November 16th -November 19th. ALL students need to have their picture taken for our student database, student ID cards, and the yearbook regardless if they do not order a portrait package. Students will be photographed during Physical Education classes that week and a more specific schedule will be sent home and posted on our website by the end of October. This schedule will also apply to our full remote students with the caveat that instead of during PE class they will need to come to the building between 2:45 and 5:00 on the assigned day. If you plan on ordering a picture package, the order form and payment should be brought to the photographer on the scheduled picture day. Please note that picture packages will be mailed home this year and so the contact information and mailing address need to be correctly fill out on the order form. Online pre-order will also be accepted. If a student misses their assigned picture day, a re-take day will be scheduled in January. Contact Mrs. Gouvitsas (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Welcome back! We are working on a safe and efficient way to get physical books into the hands of our students. Stay tuned for future details. Until that time, students have had an introduction to SORA where they can get eBooks and audio books.
Path to access SORA:
- Go to Scotties Dashboard
- Click on Library Resources
- Click on SORA
- Choose Ballston Spa Ctl School District
- Click the green button that says, "Ballston Spa Ctl School District"
- Click explore (at bottom of screen) to begin searching for books
If you have questions, please email Mrs. Gerwitz at email@example.com. There are also helpful videos on the Middle School Library Resource page in Schoology (under BSMS Library/Parent Information). If students are looking to return library materials, stay tuned for updates coming soon.
- Keep up the good work with bringing fully charged Chromebooks to school each day.
- Please use the Student/Parent Technology Help desk feature on the Scottie’s Dashboard to submit questions and tech support with the Chromebook or other technology issues
- Camera’s On Beginning week of November 2nd – As we continue to refine our teaching in this new reality we are refining practices. Realizing the importance of interaction between student and teacher we as a district have embraced turning Cameras on during google meets. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to Principal Laszewski.
- We would like to remind parents to please discuss with your student internet safety and appropriate use, we ask that you please reinforce the importance of internet privacy for themselves and others.
- Please encourage your students to dress appropriately as the weather is getting colder. Guidance from the Department of Health suggest keeping windows opened and so we want to be sure families know that students may want to dress in warm layers to be as comfortable as possible in the classrooms.
- Early Release or Absences - Parents please send in notes to attendance when your child has an appointment and will miss a class or two – even if they are remote we need the documentation.
- Late to School - If student is dropped off after 7:35 (or 7:40) they need to use front entrance. I was told kids were knocking on the café doors
We would like to thank you all for supporting the PTA in years past. This year may look a little different but we will still be supporting our staff and students.
Last week your student should have brought home our fundraising packet for this year. All funds go directly to support staff and students of the Ballston Spa Middle School.
If for some reason your student did not bring it home or you have a remote learner, click on the link below and it will take you directly to our online catalog. All orders will be shipped directly to your home free of charge. This link can be shared with family and friends. The deadline for order submission is 11/7.
We have also set up a link to sign up for Middle School PTA membership.
This will be done online this year: https://scotties.memberhub.store/
Thank you so much
Middle School PTA