Grade 4: Overview
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
• Gain familiarity with factors and multiples.
• Generate and analyze patterns.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Generalize place value understanding for multidigit whole numbers.
• Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
Number and Operations—Fractions
• Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering.
• Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of
operations on whole numbers.
• Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
Measurement and Data
• Solve problems involving measurement and conversion of measurements from a larger unit to
a smaller unit.
• Represent and interpret data.
• Geometric measurement: understand concepts of angle and measure angles.
• Draw and identify lines and angles, and classify shapes by properties of their lines and angles.