Grade 3: Overview
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Represent and solve problems involving multiplication and division.
• Understand properties of multiplication and the relationship between multiplication and
• Multiply and divide within 100.
• Solve problems involving the four operations, and identify and explain patterns in arithmetic.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
Number and Operations—Fractions
• Develop understanding of fractions as numbers.
Measurement and Data
• Solve problems involving measurement and estimation of intervals of time, liquid volumes,
and masses of objects.
• Represent and interpret data.
• Geometric measurement: understand concepts of area and relate area to multiplication and to
• Geometric measurement: recognize perimeter as an attribute of plane figures and distinguish
between linear and area measures.
• Reason with shapes and their attributes