Name: __________________________________ Section: ____________
Genetics Unit - Vocabulary practice
Fill in the blanks using the words in the word bank.
- ________________________ is the study of how traits are passed from one generation to the next.
- ___________________________ is a process that produces a new generation of offspring.
- _____________ ______________ is the “father of genetics”, because he discovered most of principles of heredity while studying pea plants.
- A _______________________ is an observable characteristic that is passed from one generation to the next.
- _________________________ is passing traits from parent generations to offspring generations.
- A _________________________ is a thread-like structure in the nucleus of a cell that controls heredity.
- A _________________________ (Allele) is part of a chromosome that carries the genetic information to control one trait.
- ___________________ ___________ or DNA is the chemical in chromosomes that contains the genetic code for heredity. It is shaped like a double helix (a twisted ladder shape).
- The___________________________ is a cell organelle that stores chromosomes.
- A ____________________________ gene is the stronger form of a gene. It will show up in an offspring that gets that gene. It is represented by a capital letter.
- A ___________________________ gene is the weaker form of a gene. It will get masked in a hybrid offspring with that gene. It is represented by a lower case letter.
- A ___________________________ is an offspring that has two genes for a trait that match.
They are both dominant or both recessive.
- A _____________________________ is an offspring that has two genes for a trait that don’t
match. One will be the dominant gene & the other will be recessive.
14. A _____________________________ is a sex cell (sperm or egg cell).
- _____________________________ occurs when a sperm cell unites with an egg cell.
- ________________ _______________________ requires two sets of DNA, one set from each of two parents, combining to produce an offspring.
- _______________ ________________________ only requires one set DNA from one parent to produce an offspring.
- ____________ _______________________ is the process by which cells reproduce.
- ___________________________ is cell division where one cell splits into two cells.
- ___________________________ is cell division where one cell splits into four gametes.
- _________________________ is the genetic differences between individuals of the same species that are caused during sexual reproduction, by mutation or as a result of natural selection.
- _____________ ______________________ control the trait related to the gender of an offspring.
- A _______________________________ is variation caused by miscoded DNA.
- _____________________________ occurs when the last of species dies because it didn’t adapt to change in the environment.
- _____________________________ is trying hard to fulfill needs from limited resources over rival organisms in an effort to ensure survival.
- ____________________ ________________________ is the process where nature eliminates organisms that don’t adapt to a changing environment or can’t compete for limited resources.
- A ___________________ _______________ is a graphic family history that shows how a trait has been passed from one generation to later ones.
- A ___________________ ________________ uses parent’s genes to help predict the chances of
a trait being exhibited in an offspring.
- A ___________________________is a description of the gene pair that an offspring inherits for a trait. One of the pair comes from the mother & one from the father.
- A ___________________________ is a description of what a trait looks like for an offspring.