Chapter 3: The Engineering Design Process
New Unit 3: The Engineering Design Process from Gateway to Engineering, 2nd Edition, Delmar/Cengage Learning 2013
Section 1:The Engineering Design Process
- Introduction to Design
- The Concept Stage
- The Development Stage
- The Evaluation Stage
Section 2: Design Considerations
- Ethics in Engineering
Section 3: The Engineering Notebook
Engineering Design Process: The engineering design process applies mathematics, science and engineering principles to help in decision making.
Brainstorming:Brainstorming is a method of shared problem solving in which all members of a shared group engage in unrestrained discussion and spontaneously generate ideas.
Design Brief: A design brief is a written plan that identifies a problem to be solved, its criteria, and its constraints.
Optimization: Optimization is an act, process, or methodology that is used to make a design as effective or as functional as possible within the given criteria and constraints.
Market Research: Market research is a survey of potential product users to find out their likes and dislikes about a product.
Documentation: Documentation is the organized collection of records and documents that describe a project's purpose, processes, and related activities for future reference.
Engineering Notebook: An engineering notebook is the documentation of all of the steps and calculations for and an evaluation of the engineering design process for a particular item.
Stretch Your Knowledge Activities:
- Describe the types of interpersonal skills that a good design team member should have. Discuss why these interpersonal skills are important.
- Why is identifying the design criteria important in the engineering design process before the product is actually designed?
- Why is the evaluation of a design based on data and not on personal feelings?
- Describe the importance of a well documented engineering notebook to both the design team members and their company.
- A perosn or company in the United States holds a patent for 17 years. Discuss whether this period should be longer or shorter.