Registration Process and Required Documents

  • Registration is a two-step process:

    Step 1:

    Required Documentation and Appointment with the Registrar

    Proof of Residency

     As required by New York State Law, all new students entering the Ballston Spa Central School District must provide the proper documentation to establish residency. The documents must always state the student's physical address. A post office box is never an acceptable address for the purpose of determining residency. Two proofs of residency from this list are required: 

    -        A copy of a residential lease; deed; or mortgage statement;

    -        A statement by a third-party landlord, owner, or tenant from whom the parent(s)/guardian(s) lease from or live with (either sworn or unsworn);

    -        Such other statement(s) by a third party establishing the physical presence of the parent(s)/guardian(s) in the school district.


    The District will also accept:

    -        Pay stub;

    -        Income tax form;

    -        Utility or other bills;

    -        Membership documents based upon residency (e.g., library cards);

    -        Voter registration document(s);

    -        Official driver’s license, learner’s permit, or non-driver ID;

    -        State or other government issued identification;

    -        Documents issued by federal, state, or local agencies;

    -        Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers (NOTE: school districts may not require evidence of a custody order or guardianship papers as a condition of enrollment).


    Birth Certificate

    An original birth certificate with a raised seal or a a valid passport will be accepted.

    If a Birth Certificate is not available, you may provide the following:

    -        Student's official driver’s license

    -        State or other government issued identification

    -        School photo identification with date of birth;

    -        Consulate identification card;

    -        Hospital or health records;

    -        Military dependent identification card;

    -        Documents issued by federal, state, or local agencies;

    -        Court orders or other court-issued documents;

    -        Native American tribal documents;

    -        Records from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary agencies


    Proof of Immunization

    Must be signed or stamped by a State licensed health care provider. These documents may be faxed to (518) 602-0257 directly from the physician’s office.


    School Records

    Most current report card, standardized testing results, and contact information, including phone and fax numbers, for the last school attended.

    Most current Individualized Education Program (IEP) if applicable


    Special Circumstances

    Please provide appropriate documents, if applicable, detailing legal guardianship situations, name changes, and/or custody agreements. A Residency Questionnaire  will be required to be completed when appropriate.


    Step 2:

              After meeting with the Registrar, at the primary level the parents and students will be

             contacted by the attendance officer in the school building where the child will attend.

             It is at this time that the student's teacher is assigned.

    The parents and students at the secondary level will be contacted by the appropriate school's guidance secretary to schedule an appointment with a guidance counselor.

    The Transportation Department will notify all parents of busing schedules.


Related Files