Immunizations & Physicals
Immunizations & Physicals
New York State Immunization Requirements for School Entry
Per the NYSDOH School Assessment and Compliance Unit:
At this time, the NYSDOH is not issuing exceptions for immunizations because of COVID-19. The Department's stance continues to be that students missing vaccine doses for any reason must comply with Public Health Law Section 2164 requirements. Children entering or attending school in New York State, including summer school and distance learning, must comply with said requirements.
Required Physical Examinations
NYS law requires a physical examination for new entrants and students in Grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11; annually for interscholastic sports; and working papers as needed; or as required by the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or Committee on Pre-School Special education (CPSE).
The examination must be completed by a New York State licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner. A dental certificate which states your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is also requested at the same time.
- A copy of the health examination must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts at the school, and when your child starts K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th & 11th If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during this school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the Health Office with the date.
- The NYS School Health Examination form can be found at the bottom of the page.
- The optional dental certificate is attached also.
- Communication between private and school health staff is important for safe and effective care at school. Please talk to your provider about signing their consent form for the school at the time of your child’s appointment for the examination.
Screening Waiver: Hearing, vision, and scoliosis screenings required to be provided by public schools are waived for the 2020-21 school year due to the COVID-19 crisis, unless the screening is otherwise deemed necessary.
The following screenings are conducted for:
- Vision and hearing screenings are done for new enterers and grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Scoliosis screenings are done for girls in grades 5 and 7, and for boys in grade 9.
Referrals for further evaluation are made if there is a deviation from normal. Contact the health office if you have any questions.
Please contact the school nurse if you have any questions or Colleen Ferlo, RN, District Health Leader for the Ballston Spa Central School District at 518-884-7150 ext 2663.