Immunizations & Physicals
NYS Required Immunizations
On 6/1/21, the NYSDOH released a notification which states: NYSDOH expects any students who missed doses of vaccines due to COVID-19, to receive any overdue doses within 14 days after entry into the 2021-2022 school year, regardless of in-person or remote school attendance; this may be extended to 30 days for students transferring from out-of-state or another country.
NYS Required Physical Examinations
Beginning 7/01/21, physical examinations for school are to be documented on the
NYS Required Health Examination or an electronic health record equivalent form
NYS law requires a physical examination for new entrants and students in Grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11; annually for interscholastic sports; and working papers as needed; or as required by the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or Committee on Pre-School Special education (CPSE).
The examination must be completed by a New York State licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner. A dental certificate which states your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is also requested at the same time.
- A copy of the health examination must be provided to the school within 30 days from when your child first starts at the school, and when your child starts K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th & 11th If a copy is not given to the school within 30 days, the school will contact you.
- If your child has an appointment for an exam during this school year that is after the first 30 days of school, please notify the Health Office with the date.
- The NYS School Health Examination form can be found at the bottom of the page.
- The optional dental certificate is attached also.
- Communication between private and school health staff is important for safe and effective care at school. Please talk to your provider about signing their consent form for the school at the time of your child’s appointment for the examination.
The following screenings are conducted for:
- Vision and hearing screenings are done for new enterers and grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
- Scoliosis screenings are done for girls in grades 5 and 7, and for boys in grade 9.
Referrals for further evaluation are made if there is a deviation from normal. Contact the health office if you have any questions.
Please contact the school nurse if you have any questions or Colleen Ferlo, RN, District Health Leader for the Ballston Spa Central School District at 518-884-7150 ext 2663.