Degrees and Certifications:
NYS Certified Teacher for: - Biology & General Science - Business & Distributive Education SUNY Master Science Teacher 2017 Masters Degree in Teaching Science - Union Graduate University 2007 Bachelor of Science - Cornell University 1992
Science Teacher & Outdoor Club Advisor
Thank you for looking into my BSCSD teacher site.
As a parent of two great kids, I fully understand that other parents want to know who the person is that is teaching their child. I trust the information on this page will provide you with a bit more insight.
Please feel free to contact me anytime through my e-mail with questions, comments, or concerns.
Sincerest best wishes,
- Students in our ECHS Program can access all course materials through our CANVAS on-line learning platform.
- Students in my Fall 2021 Environmental Science course can access all course materials through the links within this course syllabus.
Background: To tell you the truth, as a 1988 high school graduate, I never wanted to be a teacher. My mother was a math teacher and I remember distinctly telling her “You have way too much work and I need a job that will be easier than that!” But when my wife and I transitioned into teaching, around the turn of the new millennium, it became the most fulfilling career move I/we ever made. Yes, it is still an incredible amount of work, but our lives always revolved around helping kids and I thoroughly enjoy working with our community's high school students to discuss the most pressing environmental issues affecting our planet.
I have been a teacher with the Ballston Spa high school since 2004. In 2010 I began work with our ECHS team to organize and develop the Clean Technologies and Sustainable Industries Early College High School program (ECHS) at TEC-SMART. I have also been advising the high school Outdoor Club since 2007 taking students on monthly hikes / outdoor activities during the school year. Please feel free to review some of these activities through the club link.
Prior to the ECHS program, I taught Regents Biology, Environmental Science, and worked on a distinct district initiative to develop a Nanotechnology course in conjunction with Michael Potter (Technology Teacher). Although Mike and I no longer teach this course, I have had several requests for my curriculum materials that I make available through this course link. Prior to my science instruction, I was also a business teacher from 2004 - 2007.
My Classroom: "Meet the teacher night" is always a challenging scenario to take in all the information presented. I essentially want parents two know that I have three simple goals for my students.
- I want students to feel safe in my classroom.
- I want students to have fun in my classroom.
- I want students to learn the intended outcomes of the course in my classroom.
If I accomplish the first two goals, the third one usually happens all by itself.
At the end of each year, I find it important for my students to understand how far they have come and how much they have achieved. I accomplish this through a video compilation of their shared classroom experiences and achievements. Feel free to review my past classes listed below with their respective video links:
- ECHS 2022-23
- ECHS 2021-22
- ECHS 2018-19
- ECHS 2017-18
- ECHS 2016-17
- ECHS 2015-16
- ECHS 2013-14
- ECHS 2012-13
- BIO 2010-11
- BIO 2009-10
Ecological Education Program - I have had the fortunate opportunity to engoage our students in an International Ecological Education program with two other teachers, Mrs Meuwissen and Mrs. Hansen. Check out the links below to see the highlights of our experiences exploring the natural wonders of these ecosystems, their sustainable agricultural operations, forestry corridor reclamation programs and many of the natural wonders of each ecologically vibrant country.
Professional Work History: A rundown of my professional work experience can be found here and summarized below. Thank you again for looking into my teacher site!
- 2007 - Present: SUNY Master Science Teacher with the Ballston Spa High School
- Sustainable Industries & Clean Tech. Early College Program
- Outdoor Club (est. 2007) Advisor
- 2023 - NY Planning Federation Conference, Presenter "FLIP - Connecting students to Planning & Civic Engagement"
- 2021 - #GLAG21 Take Action, Presenter "Demystifying Poetry"
- 2020 - $5,000 Global Foundries Malta Foundation Mountain Bike Grant "Burn Fat Not Oil!"
- 2020 - $3,700 Ballston Spa Education Foundation Mountain Bike Grant "Burn Fat Not Oil!"
- 2018 - NYS English Council Collaborator of Excellence
- 2018 - $2,500 Global Foundries Malta Foundation Grant for Essential Outdoor Club Equipment
- 2017 - STANYS Eastern Conference, Presenter “Co-Teaching Climate”
- 2013 - PTSA Honored volunteer
- 2011 - $2,200 Ballston Spa Education Foundation Grant for Thermal Imaging Sensor
- 2010 - Collaborative Superintendent's STEM Expo @ Ballston Spa, Presenter “The Nanostructured Classroom”
- 2009 - BSCSD Extra Mile Award Recipient
- 2004 - 2007: Business Education teacher with the Ballston Spa School District
- 1998 - 2004: City of Albany - Landfill Gas to Energy Facility Operator
- 1993 - 1997: BFI Organics - Project Manager for Industrial Waste Recycling Programs
- 1980 - Present: Balet Flowers & Design - Yes, this is my sister's business, but we both invested a lot of sweat equity in the early years :-)