Dear Parents and Caregivers of Ballston Spa students –
We continue our work and planning for the reopening of schools in September. While we currently have a general plan in which all of the technical requirements from the Department of Health and the State Education Department are met, making this technical plan an operational plan for each of our schools will require additional work and additional information. The work will be in the form of Board of Education communications and feedback; school-based work groups consisting of parents, administrators, teachers, school staff, employee organization leaders; work with our employee associations; reviewing emails to our firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox; reviewing and acting upon additional information from the state, and/or reviewing updates from our school district attorneys.
For additional information, we are asking for your help in letting us know the intentions that each of you have for your child(ren) for the fall. The parent survey at the link below asks for the key information that will assist us in determining transportation capacity and routes, building organization and classroom structures, our food service arrangement, and how we can best develop a process for gathering student health information prior to the start of school each day.
All of this, as I have mentioned before, is contingent upon the announcement from the Governor that schools will be allowed to reopen in September. That announcement is expected next week. Although this will likely be covered in all of the major media outlets, we will nonetheless communicate directly with you once that announcement is made. In the meantime, please be sure to check our School Opening Information page on our website for additional information about our planning.
Our thanks for your continued support, patience, and assistance as we work towards September.
Superintendent of Schools
Ballston Spa CSD
Please review the Parent Survey Information and the FAQ documents below and then complete the PARENT SURVEY by August 7, 2020 at the following link for each student you have enrolled in the BSCSD: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfcGkA4rwpesItysJ5zdb7svdrXXg6KsWGOqkSgkrsiYJV4WQ/viewform
As of July 17, 2020, we have received over 150 pages of guidance from the Governor and the State Education Department. The BSCSD is continuing our group work on developing three reopening models – fully open, fully closed with remote learning, or a hybrid of these two models.
We will be communicating with parents in the days ahead as to what each of these models looks like, but for each of the plans that include in-person attendance, you can safely assume the following conditions will be in place:
- Continued attention to safety and security of students, staff, and, visitors (where they are allowed in our buildings.)
- Health checks/screenings of students at various times using various methods throughout the day (please be sure to follow the usual guidelines as to when to keep your child home. See https://www.bscsd.org/health for more information);
- Advanced and more frequent cleaning and disinfection of buses and buildings;
- Protocol for how we will address and isolate students or staff who become ill during the school day;
- Students and staff wearing of masks/face coverings on buses and in our buildings with certain exceptions;
- Social distancing requirements and guidelines at bus stops, on buses, when entering the school building, in the school building, and in our classrooms/labs;
- Restrictions on how and where breakfast and lunches will be made available/served;
- Training availability for students, staff, and parents on health and safety protocols and effective components of remote learning; and
- Continuous communications through consistent form and various means including website, email, social media, direct mailings, voice/text messages, video messages and presentations.
Managing our way through a pandemic is a team effort that will rely on each and every one of us to play our part in taking care of ourselves and of one another.
District Reopening Plans based on the state guidance will be submitted by July 31st; and then a determination about reopening of schools will be made by the Governor during the week of August 1-7, 2020.
For additional information, please visit the subpages in this section, send your comments/inquires to Schoolopening@bscsd.org or call the BSCSD District Office at (518)884-7195.