Degrees and Certifications:
SUNY Master Science Teacher NYS Certified Teacher for: - Biology & General Science - Business & Distributive Education Union Graduate University 2007 - Masters Degree in Teaching Science Cornell University 1992 - Bachelor of Science
Thank you for looking into my BSCSD teacher site.
As a parent of two great kids, I fully understand that other parents want to know who the person is that is teaching their child. I trust the information on this page will provide a bit more insight for you. Please feel free to contact me anytime through my e-mail with questions, comments, or concerns.
Sincerest best wishes,
Background: To tell you the truth, as a 1988 high school graduate, I never wanted to be a teacher. My mother was a math teacher and I remember distinctly telling her “You have way too much work and I need a job that will be easier than that!” But when my wife and I transitioned into teaching, around the turn of the new millennium, it became the most fulfilling career move I/we ever made. Yes, it is still an incredible amount of work, but our lives always revolved around helping kids and I thoroughly enjoy working with our community's high school students to discuss the most pressing environmental issues affecting our planet.
I have been a teacher with the Ballston Spa high school since 2004. In 2010 I began work with our ECHS team to organize and develop the Clean Technologies and Sustainable Industries Early College program (ECHS) at TEC-SMART. I have also been advising the high school Outdoor Club since 2007 taking students on monthly hikes / outdoor activities during the school year. Please feel free to review some of these activities through the club link.
Prior to the ECHS program, I taught Regents Biology, Environmental Science, and worked on a distinct district initiative to develop a Nanotechnology course in conjunction with Michael Potter (Technology Teacher). Although Mike and I no longer teach this course, I have had several requests for my curriculum materials that I make available through this course link. Prior to my science instruction, I was a business teacher from 2004 - 2007.
My Classroom: "Meet the teacher night" is always a challenging scenario to take in all the information presented. I essentially want parents two know that I have three simple goals for my students.
- I want students to feel safe in my classroom.
- I want students to have fun in my classroom.
- I want students to learn the intended outcomes of the course in my classroom.
- If I accomplish the first two goals, the third one usually happens all by itself.
At the end of each year, I find it improtant for my students to understand how far they have come and how much they have achieved. I accomplish this through a video compilation of their shared classroom experiences and achievements. Feel free to review my past classes listed below with their respective video links:
Professional Work History: A brief rundown of my professional work experience can be found here and summarized below. Thank you again for looking into my teacher site!
- 2007 - Present: SUNY Master Science Teacher with the Ballston Spa High School
- Sustainable Industries & Clean Tech. Early College Program
- Outdoor Club Advisor
- 2018 - NYS English Council Collaborator of Excellence
- 2018 - $2,500 Global Foundries Malta Foundation Grant for Essential Outdoor Club Equipment
- 2017 - STANYS Eastern Conference, Presenter “Co-Teaching Climate”
- 2013 - PTSA Honored volunteer
- 2011 - $2,200 Ballston Spa Education Foundation Grant for Thermal Imaging Sensor
- 2010 - Collaborative Superintendent's STEM Expo @ Ballston Spa, Presenter “The Nanostructured Classroom”
- 2009 - BSCSD Extra Mile Award Recipient
- 2004 - 2007: Business Education teacher with the Ballston Spa School District
- 1998 - 2004: City of Albany - Landfill Gas to Energy Facility Operator
- 1993 - 1997: BFI Organics - Project Manager for Industrial Waste Recycling Programs
- 1980 - Present: Balet Flowers & Design - Yes, this is my sister's business, but we both invested a lot of sweat equity in the early years :-)