The Ballston Spa Central School District Technology Department is committed to:
- Preparing all students to be responsible and informed citizens in a world that is increasingly affected by advancements in science and technology.
- Preparing all students to be scientifically and technologically literate so they can comprehend, analyze, and meaningfully participate in the debate of scientific and technological issues.
- Developing students’ critical thinking and analytical skills through research and the use of the engineering design process.
- Developing students’ awareness of the types of opportunities that would be available for them to pursue in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.
All students take 20 weeks of technology in 6th and 7th credit to meet the 1 unit of credit for technology required at the middle level. Students have the opportunity in 8th grade to take the high school level course Engineering Essentials, which is a full year.
The middle school technology curriculum is aligned to the New York State Math, Science and Technology standards. Students have the opportunity to apply the concepts they learn in math and science to solve engineering design problems. The technology curriculum helps students develop the technical, intellectual, collaborative and innovative skills required to be successful in the emerging careers such as nanotechnology and clean energy.
The Engineering and Technology Department at Ballston Spa participates in a partnership with Project Lead the Way (PLTW) to offer a middle level and high school level courses that introduce students to the scope, rigor and disciplines of engineering and engineering technology prior to entering college.
Units of Study
6th Grade Technology:
- History of Technology
- Computer Aided Design
- CO2 dragster
- PLTW Automation and Robotics
- Measurements & Blueprints - T Puzzle
- CAD Introduction
- Design & Problem-Solving - Rockets
- Transportation: Dragster
- Graphic Design - Laser Engraved Coasters
- Communications: Video-making/-editing
- Intro to Wood Working: Whistle
7th Grade Technology:
- Basic Electricity
- Digital Electronics,
- PLTW - Energy and the Environment
- Photovoltaic Systems
- The Electrical Grid
- Measurements & Blueprints
- Materials Processing - Tops
- CAD - Marble Maze
- Graphic Design - Frosted Mugs
- Design & Problem-Solving - Egg Crash Car
- Mass Production - Basketball Hoops
PLTW - Engineering Essentials:
- Explore Engineering career opportunities
- Solve engaging and challenging real-world problems
- Develop an engineering mindset
- Use the tools and techniques of Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical and Civil Engineering
- 3-D Modeling
- Circuit Simulator
- Geographic Information Systems
- Design document and communicate Engineering work