LOTE - (Languages Other Than English)
Welcome! Bienvenue! Bienvenidos!
"We want to raise our children so that they can take a sense of pleasure in both their own heritage and the diversity of others." - Mister Rogers
The LOTE Dept. at BSCSD is committed to offering a program that meets the needs of all students. We believe that everyone can learn another language and we recognize that all students learn differently. Therefore, each language class has the objective to develop listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills as well as knowledge about other cultures. We offer a five year sequence in both French and Spanish and students may earn up to eleven college credits through the College in the High School Program at Schenectady County Community College and the University in High School Program at SUNY Albany and/or IB standard level credit through the International Baccalaureate Programme.
All of our teachers are extremely knowledgeable in their content area as well as foreign language pedagogy and keep current with professional development in their field. In addition, LOTE teachers at BSCSD make a concerted effort to incorporate technology such as computers, smart boards, and web cams in their lessons in an effort to engage all students and maintain a lively learning environment.
- Two languages offered - French & Spanish
- Instruction begins in 6th grade and may continue through 12th grade
- Credit-bearing language proficiency (Checkpoint A) exam given at the end of 8th grade (formerly the NYS Proficiency Exam)
- Credit-bearing language (Checkpoint B) exam given at the end of French 3 or Spanish 3 (formerly the NYS Regents Exam)
- IB and University in High School classes offered in 11th and 12th grade.
- Juniors & Seniors participate in Foreign Language Lip Sync Night
- Exchange Programs with France & Spain in high school
Click here to read an article from NPR:
"New Study Shows Brain Benefits of Bilingualism"